What food is available canned, is portable, is delicious to some people (and hopefully can be an acquired taste for everyone else), is super-duper healthy and filling, is “real” food, and is inexpensive?
Sardines, of course! Did you guess it correctly?
Here is why I love sardines so much…
- Eating sardines fits into a healthy, low glycemic-index, Mediterranean style diet that I love to eat and promote
- They contain lots of omega-3 fatty acids, the type of fat that helps your brain and skin, is anti-inflammatory, helps decrease heart disease, diabetes, and osteoporosis risk, and is all around great for every organ in your body
- They help us to maintain a trim waistline
- All the reasons above (filling, inexpensive, taste great, portable, do not require refrigeration)
- With a spoonful of spicy mustard, a few seed crackers, and a mixed greens salad, you have a healthy, light lunch that will make you feel glorious and virtuous
Dr. Amy Mercovich’s Sardine Buying Tips:
- Choose sardines packed in olive oil (instead of soybean oil)
- If you want the ones packed in water, then top them off with a drizzle of your own yummy olive oil
- Brands I like (in order of most to least) are: King Oscar Sardines in Olive Oil – see photo below, Cole’s Portuguese Sardines in Olive Oil (a little pricier but delicious – also love their canned Petite Rainbow Trout), Goya Sardines in Olive Oil, and lastly Bumble Bee Sardines in Water (then I add a drizzle of olive oil)
- Prices range from $ .99 for Bumble Bee (which is why they make the list – they are cheap!) to about $4.99 for Cole’s brand. King Oscar and Goya fall in the middle of those end ranges.
(No, I was not bribed, paid, or reimbursed in any way by King Oscar or any of these companies!)